We have been in Bolivia for a week now. Here are some facts about this interesting country:
– Established : 6th August 1825
– Population : Approx. 10 million (depending on your source)
– 28th Largest country in the world by area (1,091, 581 sq km)
– Languages: Spanish, Quechua, (30%) Aymara (25%)
– Currency: Boliviano (Approx 6.6 Bs to 1 $AUD)
– President: Evo Morales – 22 Jan 2006
– GDP per Person: Estimated $USD 4,800 (Ranked 155th in the World!).
– Along with the much smaller nation of Surinam, Bolivia is the poorest nation in the South America (or Latin America for that matter
– A land locked nation
– Shares Lake Titicaca – the highest navigable lake in the World and the largest lake in the South America – with Peru.
– Lowest point is 90m above sea level, highest point is 6,542 metres above sea level.
– “Location” (it was actually shot in Chile) of the recent James Bond movie “Quantum of Solace”. It was also famously where Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid spent their last days.
(Information courtesy of my old friend Wikipedia and the CIA World Factbook).
Here are some observations about the Auténtica Cerveza Pilsen Premium Tropical:
– It is brewed by Compañia Cervecera Boliviana S.A.. Established in 2006, Compañia Cervecera Boliviana S.A (CCB) is the main competition to Cervecería Bolivana National S.A (the company that brews something like 94% of all beer in Bolivia). CCB has the significantly better website.
– “Tropical” flavouring and labelling appears to be the latest fad with beers in Bolivia, a bit like the use of “Blondes” in the Australia beer market.
– That said, the Auténtica Cerveza Pilsen Premium Tropical does have “tropical” flavours – peach, pineapple and some citrus. It is a sweet fruity lager.
– The word “Pilsen” has used quite liberally, as Saazs hops have not been used. Nor does it have the bitterness or dryness of a classical Pilsner or Pilsener.
– It’s sweeter, smoother and less bitter than the Cervecería Bolivana National S.A (CBN) lagers I have here (ie. Pacena, Taquina). The sweetness in particular was quite noticeable.